There should be no poor football Clubs in country WA. If there are, it simply comes down to management and not having the right financial model.
Every region of the state has some economic drivers that should be used to leverage funding such as Cropping, Fruit and Veg, Fishing, Tourism, Mining etc.
Make no mistakes, Clubs need to work hard for their money, but Clubs all over the state have shown if they bandy together as a community, fundraising can be an enjoyable part of running a football club.
Fundraising is important to support operational activities such as : -Umpires, Venue Hire, Staffing, Player Payments and general player expenses, Insurance, Uniforms etc.
Key Fundraising options for Clubs include: -
- Gate Takings
- Registration Fees
- Other Fundraising such as Raffles, Events, Auctions, Cropping Programs etc
Specific tasks of the Fundraising Portfolio could include: -
- Managing the Clubs’ current sponsorships and ensuring they are well serviced.
- Resigning Sponsorships
- Seeking out new sponsorship opportunities
- Working on the Club's funding model including grants, affiliation fees and gate takings to ensure the Club is profitable.
- Managing additional fundraising opportunities, the Club has in place ie AFL Grand Final raffles, cropping programs, auctions etc.
- Investigate and apply for grants that the Club may qualify for
This portfolio would be best suited to someone who is business minded and has solid business connections in the local community.
If the Club can successfully improve their Fundraising, this will give them options on how to better run the Club as well as building their sustainability in years to come.