As the Treasurer of a Club or League it is importnt to know your role's objectives, responsibilities and to whom you are accountable. Below is a list to help you get started.
• To ensure that a financial management system and reporting system is put in place and operable so the Club committee has an accurate, true and correct understanding of the financial status of the Club at all times.
• To provide support to the Executive and Committee members to ensure the efficient operation of the Club.
• Prepare the annual budget of the Club.
• Ensure all Committee members do not exceed authority ceilings for financial expenditure without approval from the Committee.
• General banking activities.
• Maintain appropriate accounts of all income and expenditure and associated audit trails, e.g. receipts.
• Report monthly to the Club Committee on budget performance.
• Present all accounts for payment for approval.
• Prioritise payment of accounts.
• Make details of all accounts available to the Club Committee and members as provided in the Corporate Affairs Act.
• Oversee and seek reports of all other accounts held by sections of the Club.
• Manage any overdraft facility held by the Club.
• Ensure any surpluses are invested wisely after approval by the Committee.
• Ensure all taxation commitments are met by the Club.
• Ensure tax certificates are supplied to employees as required under the Act.
• Ensure the Club finances are correctly audited.
• Report activities of the portfolio to the membership at the Annual General Meeting.
• Assist other Committee members in their duties as required.
• Undertake tasks at the request of the President, Executive or General Committee.
• The Treasurer is accountable to the President and the General Committee.
• The Treasurer shall seek ratification from the General Committee of a club budget, including debt reduction and thereafter shall have the authority to act within the limits of a budget and strategy approved.
• The Treasurer shall provide a monthly report to the Committee of all financial transactions.